October 18, 2011

Batting .750... the lanky right-hander...

'Lanky' my eye. But, I am batting with a 75% success rate. Having spent my previous post reveling in the success of the first show I entered, I shall spend the intro to this post chowing on a small wedge of crow. *chow chow chow... erp!*

This past Saturday I participated in the 'Day of the Dead vs. Dawn of the Dead' art show, hosted by Visual Art Supply. I was excited to once again be associated with the group of stellar artists who had works on display there. As a bonus, I sold one of my 2 submissions!

The piece which sold was a parody of an infamous road sign in San Diego. For those of you who have not traveled much on I-5 South in San Diego, this is the infamous sign:


This sign is posted in a couple places along the freeway near the U.S./ Mexican border. It can seem absurd, even humorous, to some, shocking to others. Whichever side of the 12-foot tall, double-fence you fall on, the fact of the matter is: people fleeing their country may run across this freeway, so be cautious!

When I considered the 'Dawn of the Dead' half of the event's theme, I really did not take long before I hit upon  the idea to spoof this sign. I found the cleanest possible image online and used that as my guide. Aside from the small size (mine is only 7.5" x 10"), I was going for a realistic representation. However, in the final moments of my creation, I tried sanding the image with a 600-grit paper. This caused the black to leech into the yellow, creating a dirty halo around the people. While I was dismayed, I was not beaten. I opted to mask the flaw by simply giving the sign a rusty 'apocolyptic' wash. It couldn't have worked any better.

For the 'Day of the Dead' half of the event theme, I was certain I would paint a skull. I was less certain about the manner in which I would paint it. My first step was to paint a white skull in semi-profile covering about 75% of a 2' x 4' sheet of 3/4" birch plywood. The background was painted pink. That is how it remained for about 2 weeks, without any detail.

Once I started in on the detail work, I realized I had no real plan for the pink background. Then I had an epic epiphany. I decided to cut the skull away from the background. I pitched the jigsaw at a 15-degree angle and went to work. Once liberated from the pink, the skull looked better, but not perfect. After trying a couple new background ideas, I settled on the flame/rays that you see in the following picture of the finished piece.


Both pieces were well received at the show. The skull in particular took more than a few folks by surprise. I think a fledgling idea of what I was capable of had been formed based upon the last show. The size of the skull was much greater than the shoe-art which had been my intro to the community.

Thanks again to Jason, curator of the event. His contribution to art in San Diego is widely appreciated.

2 comments:

  1. I bought "CAUTION". I came into the show and examined all the art, starting at the doorway and went around the room from left to right. These two pieces were the last two on the right hand wall. I was shocked that someone hadn't bought CAUTION and I immediately grabbed the label and paid for it.

    I just picked it up from the gallery last night, and I love it. The iconic CA road sign with a touch of zombie humor. Thank you Phil, for this lovely little wonder. It's a real treat to read about how you created the piece. I asked Jason to introduce us at the next show, so hopefully I'll see you Friday.

    -Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I am marking this day on the calendar: My first 'comment'. *joy*
    Eileen, I will be try and be there. My unfortunate schedule has me heading to Carlsbad and back at the peak of rush hour, ensuring a lengthy drive. I hope something changes because it would be awesome to say hello.
    Thanks so much for contacting me.

    ReplyDelete